Innocent Bystander

A little tech, a little current affairs, and my view on whatever has my attention at the moment...

Current Terror Alert Level
Terror Alert Level

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bizarre Tech Story of The Week...

This was sent to me by a friend, it's definately one of the most bizarre tech stories I've seen in quite a while....

In this article posted on optics.org Japanese researchers are using a laser to write data on human fingernails...

Using femtosecond laser pulses (I don't know what they are, but it reminds me of the fembots from the Austin Powers movies!) they're zapping the fingernails and getting 5mb of data on them. The article says they're irradiating the finger nails, it seems like the data is only readable with a special microscope and with the aid of a Xenon Arc Lamp. Now the data is only stored on the fingers for 6 months, by then the nail has completely grown out.

This begs all kind of questions...

What if you get a manicure?
What if you scuff your nail?
Why would you even want to do this?

What will they think of next?

1 Comments:

  • At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    did you decide to stop updating this???? What else am I supposed to do?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home